First I want to give thanks to Howard Binkow, author of the fantastic children's series Howard B. Wigglebottom, for allowing me this interview.
1. How did you come up with the character Howard B. Wigglebottom?
Howard: Our illustrator came up with the name Harold B. Wigglebottom. My family insisted the first name be changed to Howard.
2. How long did it take to get this series published?
Howard: Because we decided to self-publish, we were able to publish quickly.
3. Do you have any children of your own? If so do they enjoy the Howard B. Wigglebottom series?
Howard: I have four children and ten grandchildren. Every once in a while I receive a not so subtle suggestion to re-read Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen.
4. How many Howard B. Wigglebottom books are there in the series?
Howard: There are ten published books in the series.
5. Are these books available for eReader's?
Howard: Howard B. Wigglebottom 1,2,3 and 4 animated books can be purchased now as Apps on ITunes/Pad/Phone. All ten books should be available on EBooks on ITunes/Pad/Phone early this year and on Amazon and Book Nook as ebooks soon.
6. In your own words give a little synopsis of your site.
Howard: http://www.wedolisten.org <http://www.wedolisten.org/> offers free animated versions of our books, songs, posters, lessons, non-violent games and a place for children to write their own books.
7. How can children benefit from the lessons your series provides?
Howard: The intention of our books is to enable children to be better listeners, learn important life lessons and feel good about themselves.
8. What would you say the age target is for this series?
9. What prompted you to want to write children’s books?
Howard: I first learned how to be a good listener at the age of 60. I wanted to share what I learned about listening with young children.
10. Will more books be added to the Howard B. Wigglebottom series?
Howard: Yes. A book about fear and courage is done and we are starting a book about God.
11. How do you come up with book ideas?
Howard: From parents and teachers.
12. What is your personal favorite Howard B. Wigglebottom book and why?
Howard: Each one has a special place in my heart.
13. Are you currently involved in public library visits to promote your series? If not would it be something you would consider?
Howard: I visit with schools and may be interested in public library visits.
14. How long did it take to compile your team? (illustrators, authors, publishers, etc)
Howard: We began publishing in 2005. We continue to add members to our team.
15. Are the Howard B. books available at public libraries?
16. Have you considered Howard B. shirts, toys, or DVD cartoons?
Howard: yes. They are on our wish list.
17. When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
Howard: Not a clue. I wasn’t thinking that far ahead.
18. Has any of the books in this series won an award or have been up for an award?
Howard: Books in the series have received several rewards.
19. I noticed your website offers free songs to listen to and download, have you considered making a Howard B. CD?
Howard: We plan on having a DVD which includes everything on our website, http://www.wedolisten.org <http://www.wedolisten.org/> .
20. Are you self published or do you go through a publishing agency?
Howard: We do not use an agency for sales in the US and Canada. We do have an agency representing us in the foreign market.
*end of interview
If you haven't yet checked out the Howard B. Wigglebottom book series I urge you to check it out. Your children will love it! PLUS one lucky reader of Mommy's Musings will have the chance to WIN your very own Howard B. Wigglebottom of your choosing for your kid/s! How exciting is that? You can ENTER HERE TO WIN
Don't forget to check out The We Do Listen Foundation's amazing website, there is tons of fun stuff to do all FREE. We have surely been enjoying it.
You can also connect with Howard B. Wigglebottom on TWITTER and/or FACEBOOK!
Here's a list of the Howard B. Wigglebottom books:
Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen (about how to be a better listener)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Listens to His Heart (lesson: be yourself)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns About Bullies (how to deal with bullies)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns About Mud and Rainbows (about when parent's fight)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns It's OK to Back Away (dealing with anger issues)
Howard B. Wigglebottom and the Monkey on His Back (a tale about telling the truth)
Howard B. Wigglebottom and the Power of Giving: A Christmas Story (the importance of sharing)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns Too Much of a Good Thing is Bad (the importance of moderation)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Blends in Like Chameleons (a fable about belonging)
Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns About Sportsmanship (lesson: winning isn't everything)
About the website:
The We Do Listen Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) Non Profit Corporation.
With their inspiring character Howard B. Wigglebottom the bunny, it helps children learn how to listen, learn important life lessons, and feel good about themselves in the process. Each child is unique and special, and all can relate to Howard B. Wigglebottom in one way or another.
More than just books, The We Do Listen Foundation offers entertaining videos, games, songs, printable posters, printable lessons, etc., for free on their website: http://wedolisten.org/
The We Do Listen Foundation is a group of writers, artists, designers, educators, therapists, parents, and teachers. Many volunteer their time.