Sunday, August 14, 2011

Oh the Places you'll go





Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.  ~Elizabeth Stone



Today I have been feeling nostalgic, and we all know what that means! Another musing...

One of my friends is pregnant with her second child and she posted an update on facebook that she was sorting through baby clothes for her second, and I started remembering when I embarked on the same journey.

We didn't keep all my first child's baby clothes, but pretty darned close. I had three full tubs of containers filled with baby clothes, and a tote filled with baby blankets.
I didn't want to sort and wash the clothes too early so I waited until my last 2 weeks of pregnancy. My husband lugged all the storage containers out of the attic and we started to go through them together.
Now I don't know if this was a bad time to go through everything due to the high level of pregnancy hormones or what, but with almost every outfit we pull out there was a memory attatched. What should have took only about an hour ended up taking HOURS! My husband still teases me on this even though our youngest is a bit over 5 months, and I suspect that he will probably tease me on this for YEARS to come. LOL

Anyway it just made me so nostalgic, and I started picturing my 3 1/2 year old as a baby again and all the coos and smiles. His little arms reaching up for me when I would go to get him out of his crib, or highchair, or saucer. And all the memories of everything combined brought tears to my eyes.

I tried not to keep the little outfits with spit up stains on them, but there were a couple that had some baby food stains, and one of them caused me to tell the story of the first time I had him try green bean baby food and how he completely spit everything out everywhere. The yucky scrunchy face he made, etc.

Every outfit came with a memory, and due to high hormones a story to be told. It got to the point where my husband started stuffing clothes behind his back to try and hide them from me and he kept trying to stuff the keeps underneath the keep pile so I wouldn't catch a glimpse of them. haha

And I have finally realized what all other moms have told me for all these years! No matter how big your children get they will always be your little babies, and that's how you will always see them. My son is now almost 4! Come November he will be. I am both excited for him, and dreading my little boy getting bigger both at the same time. My youngest is a little over 5 months, but he'll be 6 months come September. Almost a year old! But I embark on their raising with joy because I both can and cannot wait to see what great men they will become one day. They are such remarkable children. They are my world. The years have gone by so fast! It makes me a bit sad, and yet so happy at how far they've come. I treasure the memories had, and the memories I know are waiting right around the corner. What joy children are!



When you have brought up kids, there are memories you store directly in your tear ducts.  ~Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog