Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Mercy by Beverly Lewis REVIEW




I became immersed in this book from the first chapter. I favor Amish novels greatly anyway and this one was above my expectations for sure.
I haven’t read the other novels in the Rose trilogy, but I will definitely go back and read them now. I felt so swept up with the characters lives, and it was so hard for me to restrain myself from skipping ahead. There is always something going on and I just couldn’t wait to turn the page and read what was to happen next.

Rose Kauffman, a young Amish girl, finds herself in love with the Bishop’s foster son Nick Franco. However when a terrible accident involving Nick and his other foster brother, Christian, remains suspicious Nick bolts. All this turmoil leads to the silencing of his foster father the Bishop Aaron Petershiem. Rose finds herself distraught that Nick would leave the people to return to the world without trying to even help his foster father, but she accepts the facts and fights down her desire for him. As she yearns for a family of her own some day she begins looking for a respectable Amish man to court her. During her search, Nick returns and Rose is at a loss of her feelings. Should she remain loyal to her feelings for Nick or aim for the more respectable choice in a husband? Nick wants to prove himself to his family, and the church that he is the responsible Amish man they all had wanted him to be. Through the journey we find out if he is true to this, or if he turns out to be the rebel everyone thought him to be.

The novel also focuses on Hen, Rose’s older sister, and her struggle in her marriage. Having left the plain life behind to marry an “English” man, Hen finds herself missing her plain roots. She leaves her husband to return to her old lifestyle, taking their young daughter with her. Amid the separation, Hen’s husband Brandon, gets in a terrible accident that leaves him blind and fully dependent upon Hen’s care. She cares for him at her family’s Amish home. She prays for God to soften his heart, and save their marriage as well. But Brandon is adamant in his ways and wants nothing of the Amish lifestyle, nor does he want their daughter brought up that way. Can their marriage be saved through God’s will? Or will Brandon be left un-yielding and take their daughter, whom also loves the Plain life, with him?

I found this novel to be more than just a story of fiction, although in that regard it was exceptionally done. I was at the edge of my seat in anticipation of what would happen next. The message of God and faith in this novel was well portrayed through the characters, especially Rose as she holds steadfast to her vows made to God. Each character provides an excellent example of how, no matter what happens in life, God has a plan laid out for us. If we just but follow his path we will be most pleased with our outcomes. Even serving as a remembrance to us all that even through bad good will overcome. I can’t wait to read more novels by Beverly Lewis, and I fully plan on reading the other novels in the Rose trilogy as I am now hooked. This novel now has a new home on my favorites shelf, and I can’t wait to share it with all those whom I come across. I highly recommend it.




 
DISCLAIMER: I was provided this book for free through Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my unbiased review. Opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog